Thursday, June 24, 2010

Some of the youth in the church



Some kids from the Church's Japanese school!


I have officially been her one full week. Wow, in some ways it feels like I have been here a lot longer. In other ways, I feel as if it has gone by in the blink of an eye. I have, in one week, mastered the skill of “going with the flow,” an am quickly learning the discipline of flexibility. I have grown accustom to only understanding 50 percent of what’s going on around me, and am trying to be patient with my language acquisition.

I have also had the opportunity to work with kids a lot. For the remainder of this month I will just help out with Sunday School, Japanese Classes, and other extracurricular classes provided by the church. These kids are SO incredibly cute and fun, not to mention humbling. Despite our language barrier, they still call me Tia (auntie), and are exponentially patient with me. They say I understand sign language and hand gestures very well! J

I have probably gained about 5 pounds, as everyone is always trying to feed me. They eat like 5 times a day, and my host mom is an excellent cook. Don’t be surprised if I’m a little round when I return to the states!

Most importantly, tho, I have forged friendships with people I feel like I’ve known forever. I am already certain that these connections I’m making will last a lifetime. I have been fully loved and accepted by the people of the church, and although I came to serve them, I am completely humbled by their servant’s hearts and loving disposition. I cannot tell you how much these people have blessed me already. I’ve learned so much about how God moves in every crevice and corner of the world and our lives, even when we don’t fully understand.

It’s not all easy, and I know that things will begin to get harder from here. Thank you for all of your encouraging e-mails and prayers. I love hearing from you! Please feel free to e-mail me if you want more information at: justine.morey@my.wheaton.edu.


2 comments:

  1. Keiko, those pictures are so cute. I'm glad you're doing well. Thanks for writing! Let's chat/email/skype soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems you have been gone a really long time. We miss you but are encouraged by your heart for the Lord. Can't wait to see you on skype.

    ReplyDelete